Shane Sweetnam and Cyklon 1083. (Photo © FlyingHorsePhotography)
Clinching his first victory at Tryon International Equestrian Center (TIEC) this season, Shane Sweetnam (IRL) and Cyklon 1083 secured the win in the $35,000 1.50m Suncast® Welcome, finishing the track in 35.393 seconds. Kristen Vanderveen (USA) finished in second place aboard Bull Run’s Testify, stopping the jump-off timers in 35.944 seconds, and piloted Bull Run’s Faustino de Tili to third place with a time of 36.624 seconds.
The course set by Michel Vaillancourt (CAN) saw 12 pairs move forward to the test the short course, while 28 original entries tackled the first round track. Five combinations finished the class with a double clear effort, while Vanderveen was the only competitor to finish the day with a double clear effort on both of her entries.
“I thought Michel did a good job. It was stout enough and I don’t think that it was overly technical, but it was big enough,” said Sweetnam. “He’s a great course designer and I think he had the right number of clears with 12 in the jump-off and in the ribbons.”
Cyklon 1083, owned by Spy Coast Farm, LLC, is an experienced mount for Sweetnam and has accumulated a number of top placings this year, including eight top five finishes in FEI competition throughout the winter circuit in Wellington, FL. The 2001 Swedish Warmblood stallion (Cardento x Cassandra) has spent ample time in many of the world’s biggest classes with Sweetnam in the irons and that experience is easily noted when the pair enter the ring.
“I thought my horse jumped very well in the first round and he’s fifteen so he has enough experience,” he stated. “Every Classic that I do with him I hope that I have a chance at winning it. He’s been having a great year and has had plenty of results. I feel like if I get into the jump-off with him I always have a chance.”
Sweetnam has established a working relationship with Cyklon 1083 that allows him to understand when to push for more, but also where it is safer to add, which was evident in the duo’s jump-off round. The pair opted to take several inside turns and Sweetnam felt it differentiated their time enough for the win.
He explained, “In the jump-off today I think a lot of people did five strides from fence two to three and I did six. I just felt for him, that I turned tightly back to two and three, so I think that’s where I made that time. Doing five in that line wouldn’t have been the ideal plan for him because he’s a little horse.”
Final Results $35,000 1.50m Suncast® Welcome Stake
1. CYKLON 1083, 2001 Swedish Warmblood stallion by Cardento x Cassandra x Cortus
SHANE SWEETNAM (IRL), Spy Coast Farm, LLC. 0/0/35.393
2. BULL RUN’S TESTIFY, 2004 Selle Francais gelding by Dollar du Murier x Marquise Des Monts
KRISTEN VANDERVEEN (USA), Bull Run Jumpers, Inc.: 0/0/35.944
3. BULL RUN’S FAUSTINO DE TILI, 2005 Belgian Warmblood stallion by Berlin x Bijou de Vijheide
KRISTEN VANDERVEEN (USA), Bull Run Jumpers Five, LLC:0/0/36.624
4. LADRIANO Z, 2008 Zangersheide gelding by Lawito x Gambelle
ILAN BLUMAN (COL), Blue Star Investments: 0/0/37.077
5. HILTON VAN DE BREEPOEL, 2007 Belgian Warmblood gelding by Contact vd Heffinck x Ubiene
BRITTNI RAFLOWITZ (USA), ESI Show Jumpers Inc: 0/0/38.685
6. ATLANTIS, 2003 Zangersheide gelding by Andiamo x Dodana W
SAMUEL PAROT (CHI), Samuel Parot: 0/4/35.018
7. COPA CABANA, 2007 Dutch Warmblood gelding by Cartano x Robijn
MARK BLUMAN (COL), Stransky’s Mission Farms, Inc: 0/4/35.341
8. HH DONNATELLA, 2003 Belgian Warmblood mare by Toulon x Whoopie C
DANIELA STRANSKY (VEN), Stransky’s Mission Farms, Inc: 0/4/36.176
9. CALL ME HANNES, 2006 Holsteiner gelding by Cassini II x Sestriere
DAVID BEISEL (USA), Harlow Investment Enterprises, LLC: 0/4/37.041
10. CORNET’S GOLD 2, 2005 Westphalian gelding by Cornet Obolensky x Dinah L
KYLE TIMM (CAN), Apex Equestrian Center: 0/4/39.048
11. QUABELLE, 2004 Selle Francais mare by Helrios de la Cour II x Ba Belle van’t Roosakker
BLYTHE MORANO (USA), Riverview Farm, LLC: 0/4/39.857
12. ECHO D, 2004 Belgian Warmblood gelding by Orlando x Nistria de Lauzelle
LACEY GILBERTSON (USA), Seabrook LLC: 0/8/37.726